In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Monday 5 May 2008

Blessings

My application to join God's Littlest Angel's Medical Ministry was accepted over 5 months ago. My colleagues just learnt about this over the past 5 days!

It was difficult to know when to tell them. I wondered how they would take it. After all, we work on a paediatric ward that, by Western standards, experiences periodic and frequent staffing crises. It was possible that they would picture me on a palm-lined, sun-kissed beach sipping cocktails, and resent it.

On the contrary, everyone I have spoken to so far is behind me. It is my dream to hold, heal and comfort forgotten children and it is my blessing to be able to go, but others are keen to get in on it. My manager has told be she will support my request for a leave of absence (how wonderful it would be to have a job to come back to!) and some of my colleagues have suggested that we collect medical supplies for me to take with me to Haiti.

I hardly dared hope it would happen this way, that I might have more than my own outstretched hands to offer in Haiti!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan, this if *fab* news, and i'm so pleased you have the support of your colleagues!
Nic