In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Tuesday 3 June 2008

Travel vaccines



I am blessed with a strong immune system, and I am very proud of the fact that I haven't needed to consult with a health care professional about a personal health matter since 1999.

Many of you will know that I am a believer in natural remedies: essential oils, colloidal silver, pre and probiotics.

I am "into" superfoods and wholegrains. I don't drink alcohol and because I can't tolerate caffeine, I avoid it at all costs and drink anti-oxidant-rich herbal teas instead.

I would rather have avoided travel vaccines, but there is no avoiding the fact that I really need to have sme of them, not just for me, but to protect the fragile little ones I will be caring for in Haiti. I got the first set of injections today.

A few hours later I became shivery and broke out in a cold sweat. Now, my temperature is up slightly above normal. I know this is a sign that my immune system is doing what it is supposed to do, and for that I am thankful....

.....and I can still be proud because it was a nurse I saw today, so I still haven't needed a Doctor since 1999!


No comments: