In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Tuesday 22 July 2008

Humbled

Since I composed my last post, I have received assurances from friends and family that Christmas gifts will be waiting for me when I get back at the end of February. I have even had one lady from North America offer to bring a care package for me if she travels to Haiti while I am there. The lady doesn't even know me!

So I am feeling humbled and blessed today. During the past week I have also been more than a little bit uncomfortable at the praise people have been heaping on my head.

They know me, so they should understand that I am no angel, and certainly no saint. Oh no! I get crabby, even whinny sometimes, but mostly, when things aren't rosy, I get crabby. Maybe people don't see much of my crabbitness: I try to keep my "less charitable thoughts" to myself but I get plenty of them, especially when I am tired... and everyone who knows me knows I don't have great energy levels!

What I'd like people to know, those who know me and those who don't is that volunteering in Haiti for 6 months isn't really such a great thing. I am about to join the company of missionaries who have given their whole lives to the children of Haiti. Now that really is something.

I am doing a small thing, and, I'm doing it as much for myself as for God. Please pray that I will have the stamina and endurance, physically, mentally, and emotionally, to do that small thing really well.

Update: Although I was advised that the missionary organzation that delivers GLA's mail does not provide a service to catholics, I felt led to approach them. I answered their questions truthfully, and I am pleased to report that they have accepted my application.

1 comment:

Arun.N.M. said...

Good that sense prevailed and they accepted your application.Would they have accepted if you are not a Christian? A foolish question b'cause if you are not a christian you wont be there. right?