In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Wednesday 15 April 2009

A Personal Word

Five years ago, I was in a difficult place. I had lived under attack for 3 months solid. I had been faithful to my promise, and kept my eyes on God, but all my strenght was spent and I wanted out!

I said, 'God, if you want me here, you are going to have to keep me here,' and although I asked him to show me a sign, I was filled with dread at the thought that his will might be for me to remain where I was.

I had planned to fly out of the nearest city with a budget airline, but so desperate was my desire to go home that I booked myself a ticket with a more reliable carrier!

I flew out of Durban, only to find that my onward flight to the UK was delayed. Everything in me rebelled against what that might mean. If this is your doing, Lord, you are too late! I'm on my way home now!

Six weeks ago when I left GLA, there had been no such attack. I was full of sorrow to be leaving, but I wasn't feeling well, I was tired, I missed home and I wasn't a hundred percent sure where God wanted me.

In the yard, bags in the car, I said my goodbyes, trying to ignore the whining of the vehicle that was supposed to get me to Port-au-Prince.

GLA's drivers tried everything they could to get the truck started, but it was to no avail. I was remembering that talk between God and I five years ago. This time, the tone was entirely different. As people around me joked that God obviously had a hand in this, I retorted playfully that God wasn't necessarily the cause; some of them had been threatening sabotage for a few weeks. I told God I would be back if that's what he wanted, but I asked him if he would please give me some time in Scotland.

I made it to the airport in the toddler house vehicle, and reached the gate just as my flight started boarding.

That next day, I learned that the first truck started after I left GLA. You can't say I was too late with the message this time, God seemed to be saying!

1 comment:

Carla said...

I pray you have a time of physical and spiritual refreshment back home in Scotland. You have another huge adventure in front of you, how exciting. God Bless you as you surrender your will to his great plan for your life and as you return to serve the forgotten babies in Haiti.