In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Monday 15 March 2010

Pray For Luc

'Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.' (Matthew 18:20).

A week ago, I told you that baby Luc, who was born prematurely and whose grandmother locked him away in a room so that he would die, was sick with diarrhoea, vomiting and dehydration.

I was concerned for Luc. Overnight, he became emaciated, over the week, he became jaundiced and his liver became enlarged.

I am relieved to be able to share that Luc is now much better. He is on antibiotics and IV fluids. He is well hydrated and his liver is decreasing in size. His gastric motility though, the rate at which feeds and medications pass through his stomach, is very slow, and as a result, he is not absorbing more than 5ml of milk every three hours. To support his health and enable him to recover, Luc needs to tolerate around 30ml of milk every three hours.

After 8 days, it is urgent that Luc's body begins to absorb nutrition. Please join me in praying that his stomach and his gut will begin to process milk efficiently. We are giving him a formula that contains pre-digested proteins, as well as medicine to increase the rate at which his stomach empties. We can't do any more for him medically.

We can pray though, and prayer is a powerful tool. We have seen amazing things happen at GLA, through the power of prayer; breath in lifeless bodies, provision of water, formula, food and fuel in the aftermath of January's catastrophic earthquake. For this reason, we pray with faith.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Susan, I love reading your blogs and pray for you lots! My mind is with you in Haiti lots and I miss all the cute, loveable children there! My heart cries for all the hurting children, but I am so happy you all are there to help them. God bless you and give you much strength to help these angels. Michelle Driedger