In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Thursday 4 November 2010

Believing and Miracles

Sophie's Condition has continued to deteriorate. Last night, I spent 3 hours in the NICU with Dixie, trying to stabilize her. Sophie's oxygen levels were dangerously low and she was having severe breathing problems.

Had it not been for my nursing notes, the events of today would have been a complete blur to me. The details are not important: the bottom line is that Sophie is seriously ill. She is receiving 15 litres of oxygen through her CPAP, along with medications to keep her blood pressure up and to treat seizures. We suspect that Sophie has a life-threatening chromosomal disorder. Sending her down to her cardiology appointment tomorrow, with only 3 litres of oxygen would almost certainly prove to be fatal.

Medically, we are doing everything that we possibly can, but Sophie has suffered today, and seeing that, I have began to pray, 'Not my will, but thine, oh Lord.'

I believe that in the next 24 hours, Sophie will receive a healing, a wonderful miracle, that in all likelihood, will be performed in heaven.

This photograph was taken a few days ago by Susie Schulke, our updates co-ordinator. I cannot photograph Sophie today, at a time when she is so sick. I just can't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sophie Dora looks like she has Edwards Syndrome. aka Trisomy 18. The clenched hands, low set ears, and heart deffects are common. Unfortunately, these children usually don’t live very long. Hopefully her mother is getting to spend some time with her. I will be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say Trisomy 13...maybe 18, very classical signs- babies have several organ anomalies including heart defects, usually do not live beyond a month. My patient passed away on Wednesday night with Trisomy 13. You all are in my prayers.

Cathy said...

I was going to say Trisomy 18. My little girl has trisomy 18 and is 5 1/2 years old. She reminds me so much of her when she was first born. Her hands look just like T18/Edwards. She is at peace now and without pain. God Bless you efforts to make her comfortable.