In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Tuesday 24 January 2012

Wideline: Seriously Ill

Last night, Wideline's face and feet began to swell. In the early  hours of the morning, her temperature dropped, and her body began to shut down.

Later in the morning,  I wiped her face clean. Suddenly, her face was bloody. I examined her top to toe. The creases of her neck, behind her ears, her underarms, were raw and moist. It looked as though the baby had sustained second degree burns.  I was horrified. Utterly horrified.

Our paediatrician diagnosed dermatitis of Kwashiorkor. Kwashiorkor is a particular kind of malnutrition, caused mainly by protein deficiency. It is usually fatal in babies under 6 months of age.

In the past 6 months, two very young infants have been nursed through Kwashiorkor at GLA, but nether of them were as sick as Wideline is now. She has just received her 5th mini transfusion of blood and two further doses of sodium bicarbonate to reduce the acid levels in her body.

I have done all I can. The rest is in the hands of my God. Of Wideine's God, and yours. Ours is a God who answers prayer.........

1 comment:

Katie said...

Crap. I'm so sorry, Susan. Saw Dr Nathalie driving down as I was on the way to the airport. I know God answers prayers...I know He is gracious, merciful, faithful. Look around the room and count the miracles. Wake one up for a cuddle; feel their warmth....warmth that means life. Life that we barely dared to hope was possible. Take comfort in those little bodies....I know you've done everything. & I know God answers prayers.
Lord heal precious Wideline....relieve her pain, quash infection, renew her tiny organs, correct the imbalances in her blood. Satan you have no right to this baby - none at all. Leave her alone. She belongs to her parents, to God. Lord protect Wideline,, speak to Susan, hear our prayers. Your will be done, Lord....but know how desperately we want for baby Wideline to live. Amen