In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 7 September 2008

"Ike" passes by




The winds picked up between 4 am and 5 am, driving a spattering of rain against the window panes. By around 6am this morning, all was calm.

It is now 10:30am. Outside, hurricane Ike is whistling and howling through the orphanage compound.

The gate to the guest house is off its latch and clangs with every gust of wind. Leaves are rustling, branches are twisting, and the palm trees are swaying and bending.

The winds, are strong enough to take down the power lines, I am sure. The occasional bang and thud is reaching my ears, when from time to time, the winds pick up, but generally, the storm does not seem to be growing in strength.

The sky is a light gray, not too foreboding, and the mountain vista is hidden behind a veil of mist.

It is not dark. My desk lamp is on and if it goes out and I need light, I will use my “shake” powered torch.

I decided too fore go church today, but I have heard at least one vehicle leave our property. I doesn't feel as though we have been given a direct hit, but this does not diminish my concern for the people in Gonaives; the winds may not be destructive, but Haiti's water-logged soil cannot take any more water, it just cannot. UNICEF has estimated that 250, 000 people have been affected by the flooding that tropical storm Hanna brought earlier in the week. Hurricane Ike will hamper the relief efforts.

I am reminded that there are many things in this world that are out with our control. Strangely, this does not provoke anxiety in me. Certainly, I am experiencing the storm in the relative safety of the Kenscoff mountains. However, for the most part, I feel safe in the knowledge that my God is lord over everything, even the storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really thought of the people of Haiti today when Scottish Water blithely told us to run our taps for TWO HOURS today to get rid of a cosmetic "problem". I had a good ol' rant about how most of the world had no access to safe drinking water, yet they wanted us to ruin thousands of gallons. Needless to say, we'll have discoloured water in this household until it clears itself naturally.