In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 31 October 2010

Keep Praying!

Sonia's condition has continued to improve over the weekend. She is receiving a nebulized steroid, twice an day, and hasn't needed any drugs in her IV since Friday. I took the IV line out today and I expect that she will be off of the oxygen very soon.

She looks so peaceful when she is sleeping, as this shot of her (left) shows. She is a very sweet and contented baby.....until she gets hungry. She is perfectly capable of working herself into a frenzy if someone doesn't bring a bottle soon enough. I am learning to be alert for her hunger ques before she starts kicking and flailing, arching her back and turning purple in the face!

We have seen a very gradual improvement in Sophie's general condition since I switched her to 100% oxygen. She remains unstable - the oxygen levels in her blood are still below the normal ranges and the oxygen level reaching her tissues drops rapidly if her CPAP becomes disconnected. I increased the pressure on her CPAP slightly this afternoon, to see if that would improve the gas exchange in her lungs and reduce her work of breathing. It did not. Actually, it caused a deterioration. There is nothing else I can do medically for Sophie at this point. I am very concerned about this baby. She needs a lot of prayer.

No comments: