In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 2 January 2011

Christmas Came Late......

On Christmas day, Sonia was sick, and on CPAP, and it didn't seem right or fair that this bright-eyed baby should miss out on her first Christmas. Christmas celebrations were postponed in her nursery. By Monday, her condition had improved to the point that she had been weaned off of CPAP, onto oxygen. So it was on Monday that we marked our saviour's birth the NICU babies.

Most fixed theireyes on the brightly wrapped gifts. Some, young though they are, were absoloutely delighted by their new soft toys.












For Sonia, the bright tissue paper was at least as facinating as the tiger that I unwrapped for her!














It was on Monday that Sonia smiled for the first time. The poignancy of that smile goes without saying. I returned the smile, blinking back tears.

I have never known a tiny infant quite like Sonia - so sickly but so strong, so alert, and, despite being critically ill twice in less than three months, almost on track developmentally.

Oh Sonia, my feisty, but fragile fighter. My gorgous little girl, you need advanced respiratory support everytime you catch a little cold..... You will give me grey hair and wrinkles, and I am far too young for either of these things! I, your very own Maren (God Mother) want to wrap you in cotton wool and I feel like cursing anyone who coughs sneezes or sniffles within 100 yards of you.

My prayer for you in 2011: that you will grow big. Become strong. Thrive developmentally. And that a wonderful family, hand-picked by God, will choose you to be their daughter.

5 comments:

Brigitte said...

these children are so blessed to be loved by you so much !
Brigitte mum to lilou aunt to Youna

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful smile :)

Andrea said...

I'm so happy I found your site! What a blessing these little one's are! Your site has truly touched my heart!

James 1:27,
Andrea

Erin Wilson said...

Susan, I would love to get in touch with you via e-mail. I would love to share the journey that we have been on over the past 2 years and the journey we believe God is taking us on now regarding adoption. You can contact me at erin@thewellbuffalo.com or through our blog. Hope to contact you soon.

mbs said...

That precious baby has captured my heart and so I was saddened to read Tom's blog post today. Storming the gates of heaven for her today, and for you, too....

Keep up the fight dear Sonia!