In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 9 January 2011

The Dawn Of Remembrance

Everywhere I turn, there are reminders that the date is approaching. On the Internet, on television, on posters outside the store, on the radio, at church.

Though I wish they wouldn't, memories rise and swell out of the darkness, pressing against the dam..... The terror of the day the earth groaned and convulsed. The bewildering aftermath. The uter devastation. The fear. Overwhelmed exhaustion. Terrible grief. Doubt.

2010 stunned Haiti. The Christmas and New Year festivities were muted. A heaviness hung in the air, a bitter perfume. Tangible, like myrrh.

All celebrations are not festive. Sometimes, the steps of the dance are slow, the violins trembling, as shoulders heave, tears fall.

This dawn of remembrance is streaked by bruised hues.

'Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted'.......

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Susan,
I have written to you before but it has been a while. Our Annabel has been ill more with her central line so I still read but don't always comment.
AT one time I sent some cathing supplies and other things. I have some supplies and was wondering if you could use them. It was a carbohydrate free formula that we have to mix with dextrose. But it didn't work and we aren't allowed to send supplies back. They are listed below:
10 13oz. cans RCF formula
RCF is Ross Carbohydrate Free
62 50ml. vials dextrose
Many 60 ml. syringes with Luer-Lock Tip
Many 16G1 Precision Glide Needles

The syringes and needles were use to mix the dextrose into the formula.
If you need these please email your address again (I have since misplaced). My email is suzyque92@hotmail.com
Thank you and I still pray daily for the work you do with children.
I am sure I mentioned before but adoption is my passion as we have 6 adopted children and my husband and I own an agency here locally.
Cathy