In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 13 February 2011

Alleluia!

He came to us as at 6 months of age. He weighed 8lb and he was chronically ill. Psychologically, this neglected and abused baby was not doing well, and his weight gain was painfully slow.

By October, I feared for Peterson's life, hoping, against hope, that our best efforts would be enough to to heal his embattled body and wounded soul.

Two months later, we had a breakthrough. Peterson's weight had shot up from 14lb to 18lb! He had an incredible appetite, his general health had drastically improved and he was making enormous strides in his development.

Today, he is bonding with us, and the only head shaking he does is to tease us. 'Stop that!' we will tell him, remembering the disturbed head-shaking he engaged in such a short time ago. In response, Peterson will light up from the inside and break into a devilish smile. Laughter bubbles forth, and slowly, he starts shaking his head again, keeping one eye on us. Come and make me stop, he challenges us!
Alleluia was his first word. I am not kidding. I have video proof, if only I can upload it, and at this point I can't.

Alleluia! Sometimes, tender, loving care and good medicine really are enough!

3 comments:

Nan said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! Keep up the good work.

Brittnei said...

Amazing- wow the first picture was what I remembered him looking like- that smile below is priceless. Is he just there for care with his Mama? or is he now up for adoption?

Much love!

Ninabi said...

What a difference all the good food, medical attention and love have done for little Peterson!

I'm happy he's doing so well. It must bring you so much joy as well.