In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Saturday 26 February 2011

Cold Water To A Thirsty Soul

'Like cold water to a thirsty soul,
so is good news from a far country.' (Proverbs 25:25).

In January, I shared that I longed for life. Too many little lives had been lost in our intensive care nursery. I was weary. We all were.
Today, it is my pleasure to share good news about baby Lovely, who was admitted last week, while I was gone. Born around 13 weeks early, she was all ready 16 days old when she arrived at GLA. She weighed just 1lb 10 oz and her hold on this life was extremely precarious.

Lovely has health challenges beyond what anyone anticipated. However, over the past 24 hours, she has moved beyond stable. I am encouraged to see some signs of progress. On CPAP, and in an incubator, her tiny embattled body is resting and recovering from the stress of her first 16 days in this world.

Over the past day, I have watched her grow and develop before my eyes. Her breathing and heart rate are more regulated, her oxygen requirement is down and she is now able to digest breast milk through a tube.

She is still very frail, but if she survives into the middle of next week, the chances are that she will graduate from our NICU a few short months from now.

It was hard being gone when Lovely arrived. I really wished I could have been here with the NICU staff. When Lovely's condition deteriorated a week ago, I was able to guide the Haitian nurses through setting up CPAP, via Skype and Facebook. With Dixie's support, they did it.

'In your hands , Lord, I prayed,' partly in praise, partly in supplication.
'As always', he answered.
I appreciated the reminder. Although Lovely didn't know it, people all over the world were praying for her, and people all over the world were invested in her survival. Although she still doesn't know it, I longed for her, before I even knew her. She is cold water to my thirsty soul.

No comments: