In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 18 September 2011

A Blessing For Our Fragile Angles

We really didn't need a reminder, that many of the tiny lives entrusted to us are fragile. This week though, we were reminded of just that when three children who arrived here either significantly malnourished, or with underlying medical conditions, needed special medical care.

One baby had to be started on IV antibiotics, after developing a severe ear infection. The infection has affected the glands in her neck, which, has become stiff and painful.

Another baby had to be treated for a urine infection. She was very lethargic and unwell and we were concerned about her. Naika is a year old, very pretty, very spoiled and definitely back to her usual self, now that her antibiotics have taken effect. She believes that she is a genuine Haitian Princess and if my observations are anything to go by, her nannies believe that too!


Faland was started on IV fluids on Friday, after developing severe diarrhoea and becoming dehydrated. Faland suffers from recurrent sinus infections and mild
asthma symptoms. She is recovering in the NICU today.

Even before these children became sick, I was anxious about our medical equipment. With 3 oxygen concentrators and 2 incubators malfunctioning, as well as our only warming bed for preemies, I was worried about our capacity to care for critically sick infants. I lamented that we needed someone to come and service our equipment, urgently. It didn't seem likely that anyone with the knowledge and skills needed to do this job in Haiti would arrive, so imagine my surprise when Mardochee's adoptive Father came at the beginning of the week, and told us that he specialized in servicing medical equipment!

Within days, he had most of our faulty equipment in working order, including the 30 year old warming bed! I have told Mardochee's Father to plan on staying for a week, when he comes to take Mardochee home to Canada at the end of the adoption process. Medical equipment does not stand up well to the heat and humidity of Haiti, but the repairs that Mike made has extended the life of several critical pieces of equipment. This is a great blessing to me, and especially to our babies - the ones that are in our hands now and the ones who will come over the following months and years.

4 comments:

Colleen and Jussi said...

God is good, He is faithful and hears the prayers of His people...I love it when we see it in the physical!!!!

Adrienne said...

Mike's work sent more Surflo I.V. Catheters for GLA - will bring them next visit!

Mike said...

Hi Susan,I was just curious to hear if the equipment I fixed is still holding up/working for you and staff at GLA,I pray it is and if there are any other equipment issues that I can look at for you when we return just let me know.

Lillit said...

Thanks for your kindness!