In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Sunday 4 September 2011

You Prayed. God Delivered

At God's Littlest Angels, we have suffered several losses this year - babies who were born too soon, who got here too late, babies we couldn't heal.


Sarah survived. Born 5 weeks early, she was growth retarded in the womb, acutely malnourished and very weak when she arrived at the orphanage. She battled pneumonia, septicaemia and a viral infection in her first weeks with us.


I was told that if she survived, she would almost certainly be developmentally delayed, since her brain growth had been compromised in-utero


I asked people to pray. It was a great comfort to me in those days, when Sarah's life hung in the balance, to know that so many of you were praying, especially my own family and my Dad's Catholic men's group at home in Scotland.

Four and a half months later, Sarah is healthy, thriving, beautiful and alert. She is also developmentally advanced for her age! And just so we are clear on the matter, this is not my opinion. Sarah is healthy and thriving according to her Paediatrician and developmentally advanced according to the Psychologist that assessed her

'You can tell she is just so bright!' a vistor remarked recently. I nodded, yes, in a matter-of-fact way. It is not in my nature to ooze emotionality, but joy and mirth were bubbling just below the surface.



You prayed. God delivered. Sarah beat the odds and I am so thankful.

No comments: