In Septemeber 2008, I traveled 6000 miles to Haiti's Kenscoff mountains. My mission: to care for some of the orphaned and abandoned, the sick, malnourished and premature infants of this beautiful but beleagured Caribbean nation.





Monday 14 November 2011

Magical Moments

Day by day, there are real and tangible improvements in Bianca - on Saturday morning, I noticed that her cheeks had filled out, just a little bit. On Sunday, the necrotic skin on her arms and trunk had began to slough off, revealing new skin,soft and smooth and fresh. Today, Bianca is losing her wrinkled appearance. Her eyes remain puffy, but apart from that, the swelling from her malnutrition has gone down. She is gaining weight now. Laying down fat stores. Facially, with her round cheeks and plump lips, she is beginning to resemble her mother.

Bianca is following the NICU nurses with her eyes. She is sucking on her fingers, and even trying to drink from a bottle. Although this utterly exhausts Bianca, she gazes up at me when she has finished her bottle feeds, and smiles weakly.

It is magical to witness each phase of her transformation. In the pale light of her smile, I am warmed and soothed by the hope of the frail beauty that is emerging. I am drawn in, as if by an invisible magnet and pierced by the reality of her suffering, still so evident, and so far from being consigned to memory.

6 comments:

Ithappenstobehaiti said...

I just logged on to see if there was an update on sweet Bianca. So encouraged to hear the good news. We will continue to cover you all in prayer as you work with her and her mother. God is using you greatly.

kamcelveen said...

Thank you for keeping us updated about Bianca. We are holding her, her family and all of you at GLA close in prayer. Peace be with you.

Marie said...

What exciting news! I will continue to pray!

Asha said...

Oh, my goodness...Thank you Lord! She is the sweetest little thing. Praying for her often and for all of you.

Jennifer said...

So happy to hear this. I am praying for her and you everyday. So glad you are there for her. I agree with Twinsplusthree, God is using you GREATLY.

Jennifer from CA

Whitney Salis, RN said...

Thank you Susan for the update. I was the RN who pulled this sweet girl and her mother out of the heat in front of the SP Cite Soleil clinic and helped bring her (with Kosh, the clinic's SP director) to your wonderful center. I am back in the States now- for a while- and will continue to follow her progress. Please tell her and her mother that I am praying for her and love them so much!